North Carolina

On my fall reading week this year I decided to take advantage of my free time to drive south to North Carolina to visit my family and do some herping. I know that this post isn't about Ontario herps but it brings in some much appreciated diversity! As most serious herpers and herpetologists know, herping while traveling is one of the most amazing and fun things you can do. You get to see new habitats and ecosystems of wherever you go and you get to observe new and unique herpetofauna within them!

During my stay in NC I was only able to see a few herp species due to the time restriction of 3 days and flood damage from Hurricane Matthew that had just swept past.

My first day herping started out with these species in the Croatan National Forest:


Green Anole

Green Anole

Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

American Alligator

Ground Skink

Ground Skink

Ground Skink

Southern Cricket Frog

Southern Cricket Frog

Southern Cricket Frog

Southern Cricket Frog

On day two I traveled out to Hyde County specifically in search of Pygmy Rattlesnakes:


Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake

Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake

Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake

Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake

Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake

Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake


but of course I searched for more herps and found a couple other species in the county:


Southern Leopard Frog

DOR Eastern Mud Turtle?
Rough Earth Snake

Rough Earth Snake

Rough Earth Snake


For the last day I met up with some fellow herpers down in the sandhills region of NC. My hopes were high with ambitions to see something crazy like a coachwhip, pine snake, or southern hognose but really I would have been happy with any lifer (I still couldn't believe I hadn't seen a black racer by this point! and I never did...). Instead I only found one snake after spending the whole day searching and it was one that I can find regularly back home in Ontario; the Eastern Hognose Snake. Still, with it being one of my favourite species, it was a great find:


Eastern Hognose

Eastern Hognose


And it put on a hoggy rear fang threat display which I had never previously gotten to witness:


Eastern Hognose

Eastern Hognose

Eastern Hognose

Eastern Hognose
Other species I found throughout my time in NC that I didn't photograph:
- Common Snapping Turtle
- Yellowbelly Slider
- Five-lined/Broad Headed Skink?
- Northern Cricket Frog

All in all I had a great trip. but I will most definitely need to revisit North Carolina sometime in the near future!

Cheers for now,

Ryan Wolfe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Early Emergence

A Trip to the Sunshine State - Part 2

Time to Catch Up: Fall 2018 - BC and Greece!