Herping Trip for some of Ontario's Reptiles (Part 2/2)

Following the adventures of finding garter snakes and some turtles the previous day, I set out for Norfolk County on Saturday April 15th to Norfolk County.

I was hoping to find some early Hognose Snakes and possibly some Smooth Greensnakes or Eastern Foxsnakes. Unfortunately I came up empty handed in that regard but still managed to find a few herps. I turned up a few Eastern Gartersnakes in Norfolk and my first of the year Green Frog in Brant County on the way home.

This Green Frog was exceptionally large but was very cold and lethargic so I decided it was best to take one in situ from a fair distance away in order to ensure it did not waste energy trying to "escape" from me.

Green Frog - Brant County

Determined, I set out again that evening to find more species to progress along in my Ontario herp challenge.

This time I was searching for a specific species that I knew I would find. They had been calling for the past two days and I knew exactly where to go to find them and photograph them. And this time I had a special guest join me. My girlfriend, Maddy, came out into the field with me to look for breeding American toads.

Were we ever successful! There were over 50 toads seen calling and mating within a short period of searching a small area of a pond not ten minutes from my house.


American Toad - Hamilton Region

American Toad - Hamilton Region

American Toad - Hamilton Region

American Toad - Hamilton Region

American Toad - Hamilton Region

There were also many Spring Peepers calling alongside the toads. Here are two pictured in amplexus.


Spring Peeper - Hamilton Region

After some photographs were taken and coyotes were yipping in the field right beside us, Maddy and I decided to call it a night and head back home.

A good and much needed sleep was was then followed by one last day of herping before I headed back up to Deep River. This day, Sunday, included more reptile species to cross off the year list.

The day started with flipping some logs at the same Jefferson spot as a couple weeks previous (can be seen in the "Kick-off to the Big Year" blog post from the beginning of April).

It produced a few nice looking individuals which I was able to capture better pictures of then previously with the aid of better weather conditions.

Jefferson Salamander - Hamilton Region

Jefferson Salamander - Hamilton Region

The spot also produced the smallest Eastern Red-backed Salamanders I had ever seen. They must have just been born. And one of them was a Leadback phase!


Eastern Red-backed Salamander Offspring - Hamilton Region

Early morning Salamandering was done and with the temperatures on the rise I headed off to an old quarry where I usually find my first Northern Red-bellied Snakes of the year.

I was again not disappointed.


Northern Red-bellied Snake - Hamilton Region

Northern Red-bellied Snake - Hamilton Region

After finding this Red-bellied Snake and two others along with an Eastern Gartersnake I had thought to myself that I might see a Northern (Dekay's) Brownsnake and/or an Eastern Milksnake here as well as I normally do. After continuing to flip rocks until about noon I decided that I was not going to see anymore snakes in this spot and that it was time to move on to my next area. So, I hopped on my bike and started biking up the trail out to where I parked my car.

On the way up the path I happened to look down and see this little guy crossing in front of me. I got my first Brownsnake of the year!


Northern (Dekay's) Brownsnake - Hamilton Region

What a great start to the day.

And it continued to get better.

I got to my car, called my little brother Daniel and asked him to go on a hike with me in Burlington before I headed back home. I swung by our house to drop off my bike and pick him up and we were off for our hike.

Shortly into our walk we saw my first of year Painted Turtles.


Midland Painted Turtle - Halton Region

Midland Painted Turtle - Halton Region

Continuing down the path we saw many more Painted Turtles, a large bright yellow female Eastern Gartersnake and our first Blanding's Turtle of the year to end the day!


Eastern Gartersnake - Halton Region

Blanding's Turtle - Halton Region

All in all, the weekend was full of great experiences with friends and family, nice weather, and cool herps! There's not much more that a guy like me could ask for.

Until next time,

- Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Early Emergence

A Trip to the Sunshine State - Part 2

Time to Catch Up: Fall 2018 - BC and Greece!